Throughout his career in private practice, Dr. Burns has had a special focus on those members of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender communities requiring and/or benefiting from psychotherapy.
Dr. Burns does not believe that there is any inherent “mental illness” as a result of sexual orientation and has been gay identified for his entire career.
Dr. Burns has treated LGBT issues across the lifespan as a full time-therapist since 1996.
- Psychotherapy with individuals, couples, and groups
- Testing (psychological, including ADD; vocational; SSD; etc.)
- Provision of intake interview, assessments, diagnosis and treatment planning
- Treatment of most diagnoses including but not limited to depression, anxiety, OCD, Bi-Polar Disorders, etc.
- Advanced training and experience with EMDR which is a treatment for PTSD, including childhood trauma and abuse as well as more recent traumas
- Thirty years experience working with substance abuse of all kinds
- Experience and training in working with sexual and internet addiction problems
- Hypnosis & relaxation techniques
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Health Partners
- Preferred One
- Out of Network